Lapu-Lapu City pledges P5-M aid for storm-hit Catanduanes
posted 3-Feb-2017  ·  
832 views  ·   0 comments  ·  

The City Government of Lapu-Lapu City donated P5 million last week to help rehabilitate the island province of Catanduanes which was recently devastated by typhoon Niña.

The financial assistance for the purchase of roofing materials was earlier brought up by Lapu-Lapu City Mayor Paz Radaza and Congresswoman Aileen Radaza when they visited the office of Congressman Cesar Sarmiento and joined the latter in vowing to work with local officials in helping the island get back on its feet.

To express his gratitude on behalf of the people of Catanduanes, Cong. Sarmiento visited Lapu-Lapu City to personally give thanks to the officials of the city government for their donation.

The donation will be downloaded to the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC), which pledged to match it with its own P5 million worth of roofing materials for Catanduanes.

Last December 25, 2016, Typhoon Niña hit Catanduanes, destroying homes and infrastructure, uprooting trees and affecting sources of livelihood, with the damaged structures and plantations to take many years to fully rebuild. Catanduanes is the center of relief efforts of the administration with no less than President Rodrigo Duterte visiting the area immediately after it was hit. It is estimated that the rains and wind caused more than P5 billion worth of damage to the Philippines.

Aside from the P55 million pledged by the Department of Agriculture (DA) for the rehabilitation of abaca farms, purchase of seeds and farm inputs and fishing equipment, the national government has also promised temporary learning shelters and the repair of damaged schools through the Food-for-Work program of the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) and the Department of Education (DepEd).

Cong. Sarmiento disclosed that DepEd Secretary Leonor Briones told him that a group of Korean companies will be donating computer sets to Catanduanes and Camarines Sur where many computer classrooms were destroyed.

Noting that until now, victims of last year’s typhoon Lawin in the Cagayan Valley have yet to receive shelter assistance from the government, the congressman said he would pressure the Department of Budget and Management (DBM) to release the funding as soon as the validation of the damaged houses is completed.

So far, DSWD validators have finished validating totally-damaged and partially-damaged houses in Bato town, with the deadline set this February. Sarmiento said an initial P5,000.00 cash for families with totally-damaged and partially-damaged houses will be released this second week of February. Those with totally-damaged houses will get a total P30,000.00 as Emergency Shelter Assistance (ESA) while those with partial damage will receive a total of P10,000.00.

0 comments
new to catanduanestribune.com?
connect with us to leave a comment.
connect thru
Cancel
Cancel
Cancel
home home album photo album blogs blogs