Somebody behind re-filing of shabu lap raps - Wong
posted 9-Dec-2018  ·  
2,316 views  ·   0 comments  ·  

Former Governor Araceli Bernardino-Wong last week slammed powerful people who want to cling to their posts for manipulating the controversial shabu laboratory issue by persistently linking the family to its operation.

In a statement sent to the Tribune last weekend, Wong expressed her “absolute” belief that there is a force behind the refilling of criminal charges against her sons, Provincial Board Member Joseph Al-Randie Wong and businessman Jardin Brian Wong, by the Department of Justice (DOJ).

“The 2019 election is still far away but already, there are greedy people who this early want to poison the mind of every Catandunganon,” she stressed.

The former chief executive said the repeated attempts to link the shabu lab story to the Wong name is just a manipulation of people who want to stay in power and divert the truth that they should be the ones who should be prosecuted and held responsible.

“Our name has never been dragged into any issue involving corruption, cheating or deception of fellowmen,” Wong stated. “My conscience will not be able to carry the burden of allowing my children to get involved in the operation and distribution of illegal drugs.”

She said she raised her children to be good persons and taught how to live sensible and to respect and fight for everyone who needs help.

Recalling that the DOJ during the time of Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre had already recommended the dropping of charges against her two sons, Wong pointed out that this came about because prosecutors saw that there was no evidence against them and that politics was behind attempts to link the Wongs to the issue.

She said the Wong family will face the issue squarely, which she averred would not be able to destroy their strength as they are determined to insist on a pro-people and honest governance in the province of Catanduanes.

Thanking her supporters, Wong urged all Catandunganons not to be blinded by what they see and to clearly identify the force trying to destroy the island’s progress.

The former governor is running against Atty. Jorge Sarmiento, former Gov. Hector Sanchez and former Congressman Joseph Santiago for the House seat to be vacated by third termer Rep. Cesar Sarmiento.

It may recalled that last March, Cong. Sarmiento had filed a House resolution calling for a probe into alleged illegal logging activities in Catanduanes and other provinces in the wake of a foiled lumber smuggling linked to the family of Governor Joseph Cua. That hearing was held last Nov. 28 at the House of Representatives.

Rep. Sarmiento is running for governor in what is expected to be a battle royale with Gov. Cua, who is seeking his second straight term as provincial chief executive.

(The full text of Cely Wong’s statement is reproduced on page 3 of this Tribune issue.)


0 comments
new to catanduanestribune.com?
connect with us to leave a comment.
connect thru
Cancel
Cancel
Cancel
home home album photo album blogs blogs