2 injured by firecrackers in Catanduanes revelry
posted 13-Jan-2019  ·  
476 views  ·   0 comments  ·  

Two persons, including a one-year old infant, were brought to local health facilities for treatment of fire-cracker-related injuries during the recent New Year celebration.

Despite this, official records of the Department of Health (DOH) regional health office, however, show only one victim for Catanduanes as of 6 A.M. of Jan, 2, 2019, based on the report of its sentinel hospital in the island, the Eastern Bicol Medical Center (EBMC).

The lone victim in the official list, according to a report from the Provincial Health Office, is a one-year old boy from Calatagan proper who was brought to the provincial hospital at 9:47 A.M. of Jan. 1 after ingesting a “luces” (sparkler) allegedly given by his father who was then under the influence of liquor. The boy was sent home after being treated with activated charcoal.

Under the guidelines of the DOH for the Aksyon Paputok Injury Reduction Campaign (APIR), only victims reported by its designated sentinel hospitals are counted.

In the last two years, Catanduanes had zero victims of firecracker blasts or related incidents although a man was hurt in San Andres town in 2017.

The PHO report prepared by Dr. Hazel Palmes identified the other victim during the recent Yuletide season as a 66-year old man from San Miguel, Panganiban who was brought to the Viga district hospital at 12:10 A.M. of Dec. 31, 2018 with a burn injury. The old man was reportedly under the influence of liquor when he lit a “kwitis” (baby rocket) that suddenly exploded in his left hand, wounding four fingers.

The surveillance update of DOH Center for Health Development – Bicol showed a 66-percent drop in firecracker-related injuries, from 65 last year to just 22.

Camarines Sur had the most number of victims at 7, followed by Albay with 7, Camarines Norte and Masbate with 2 each and Catanduanes and Sorsogon with 1 each.

Twenty-one (21) of the victims were male, with just one female, the DOH said, while 14 of them were 20 years of age and below.

It said that 19 victims suffered burns, with one of them needing amputation, while two sustained eye injuries. Majority of the injuries (14) were inflicted on the hands while 15 of the victims were actively “involved” at the time of the incidents.

Here’s a breakdown of the “culprit” firecrackers or noisemakers that inflicted injury in the Bicol region: kwitis (6), piccolo (5), luces (4), bawang (2), improvised cannon (2), 5-star (1), watusi (1), and others (1).


0 comments
new to catanduanestribune.com?
connect with us to leave a comment.
connect thru
Cancel
Cancel
Cancel
home home album photo album blogs blogs